My live notes…
Scott Morehouse (Director of Software Development) shares his vision of GIS.
What is a GIS?
An information system for spatial data
- Geographic data
- Editing and data management tools
- Cartographic display and visualization
- Spatial analysis and Geoprocessing
An integrated system
- Consistent data architecture
- Complementary suite of applications
- Consistent user interface
- Consistent application programming interface
ESRI’s goal is to provide the framework so developers can create the solutions their users need.
Scott then talked about
- Workstation GIS (Desktop is key and still very important)
- Enterprise GIS
- Web GIS
- And how it can be an integrated system
Up next, ArcGIS 9.3.1 demos