Rob's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, May 14, 2009

    Big Rock Triathlon – Olympic Distance

    Last Saturday I completed my first official Olympic distance triathlon (1.5km Swim, 40km Bike, 10k Run) – the Big Rock Tri at Lake Perris.  Here’s my report…

    Great weather and the water was warmer then I expected.  I still wore a wetsuit as I need all the help I can get in the swim.  I started out wide of the main group and did pretty good staying on course and not getting kicked.  My goal for the swim was to swim the whole way and not freak out.  I met that goal but now I need to work on swimming faster.  I wasn’t the last out of the water but I wasn’t in the main pack either.  The run to the transition area was tough - it’s up hill and mostly on rough sand / rocks.  But I did pretty good getting out of the wetsuit and on to the bike.

    The bike course is 2 loops with a small hill at the start of the lap and a big hill at the end of each lap.  I felt good on the 1st lap and it seemed like I was catching some guys in my age group.  I took a gel and some cytomax on the 1st lap and powered up the big hill passing few bikers that decided to walk. My plan was to take another gel on the 2nd lap but I didn’t as my stomach felt a little funny. I probably drank too much lake water.  I actually took my feet out of my shoes while still on the bike for the first time in a race and had a fast transition to the run.

    Everyone I talked to said the run felt long and I agree.  It was mostly flat but I had a hard time getting any speed till about the 2 mile mark.  Then my legs started cramping so I had to slow down a little but kept going and finished strong.  I finished 6th in my age group and faster then my personal goal so I’m happy but know I can do better.

    Here are some things I’m going to work on….

    • Swimming faster
    • Keeping my bike cadence up during the 2nd half of the bike
    • Running faster off the bike
    • Really kicking-it at the end of the run

    2 comments:

    JC said...

    Hey Rob,
    I too competed in the event. I thought I saw a sports photographer there taking pictures. Did you every get information after the race on where we could view our photographs?

    Please email me at jon.cloward@gmail.com if you have info

    贝贝 said...

    The Tax Return Crack-Up<3>
    Granted, there are usuallyMicrosoft Office 2010write-ups when presidential contenders make their tax returns available, but the coverage falls far short of the Office 2010
    full court press (pardon the pun) that the Clintons have received. What's Microsoft Office 2007different now?Office 2007One possibility is that most upper middle class Democrats, and therefore most Microsoft OfficeOffice 2007 keyeditors and reporters of our nation's big papers as well as Office 2007 downloadtelevision producers, are Obama supporters who think that Hillary should hurry up Office 2007 Professionaland drop out of the race already.Microsoft outlook
    Microsoft outlook 2010Whom elite liberals are pulling for really does shape political coverage in ways